[Events] 2004-10-15 - 17 // Space hijacking European Social Forum

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Thu Oct 14 14:11:19 BST 2004

This just in... As any self-respecting bleeding heart pinko liberal
knows, this weekend is the European Social Forum, a massive three day
multi-lingual multi-national event spawned from the World Social Forum
countering war, corporatism, rascism, and promoting justice, world
peace, and a jolly good time.

http://www.fse-esf.org/en/

A different take on the plenaries, seminars, films, drama, exhibitions,
and so on is being provided by Space Hijackers and the Lab of
Insurrectory Imagination. Essentially, this involves causing some
mischief in various high-profile retail outlets, with a strong emphasis
on playfulness and humour.

There are several events happening, various games, the Toilet Gallery,
and an SH Convention. There'll be lots simultaneously so it's a case of
show up and take your pick.

Here's the scoop on them:

----- Forwarded message from Space Hijackers -----

The Space Hijackers are proud to announce a series of events taking place in
London this weekend to mark the European Social Forum coming to town.

Taking place as part of the Laboratory Of Insurrectory Imagination
http://www.labofii.net we are organising a number of troublesome hijacks
and an international convention. All Space Hijacker agents are welcome
to come along and join in the fun.

Details of all events are on our website
http://www.spacehijackers.org
The Multinational Corporate Games
London
Sat 16th October 2004

Fed up with the lack of local amenities?
Tired of the drugery of consumer culture?
Annoyed by the constant barrage of advertising?

The Multinational Corporate Games is for you! Turn your high street into a
leisure centre, amusement arcade and playground all rolled into one! Due to
the monotony of global culture these four venues exist in every highstreet
the world over.

The following events will be taking place within central London on Saturday,
however in order to preserve secrecy until the very last minute, we will not
be publishing times and locations just yet.

1 - Everyone that can should register for breakfast with the Lab Of II,
email breakfast-at-labofii.net to reserve a place. This way we can sort
out a number of SH clustergroups along with other people in order to
play the games. PLEASE try and register as this will make things much
much easier, and it will also be a very very interesting day as a lot of
other projects are going on.

2 - For people that can't come to the breakfast there will be a separate
SH meeting point somewhere in town. We will put the meeting point up
online in the TOP SECRET part of the site on Sat morning. It will be on
the Agents menu page and on the agents bulletin board.

3 - For non-SH agents we are going to try and get game cards up in a
number of cinema racks, information booths etc. The location of these
will be put up on the front page.

According to numbers we can go in cluster groups or join several up to
play the games in a number of stores at the same time. Thereby making it
easier for us to slip into the stores, as opposed to turning up as a big
mob of people.

To play the games you will need to pick up a playing card, these will be
handed out on the day and available at a number of locations in central
London.

Event 1 ? Find the GAP
Urban Sardines a sweaty game for a sweatshop store. One contestant goes
into a GAP store and finds a hiding place. After a count of 50 the other
contestants head in to try and find them. Once you find the sardine you
must join them in the hiding place. The last person to find them loses.

Event 2 ? Starbucks Musical Chairs
Everyone heads into a Starbucks and occupies a chair. Once a pre-
chosen contestant enters the store the game starts. Every record
change on the instore stereo you must swap chairs. Different chairs
are worth different points fill in your chart as you swap seats. The
first person to get 100 point wins. They must stand up and shout "I?ve
been Starbucked" at which point everyone has 10 seconds to evacuates
the store.

Event 3 ? McDonalds Bingo
For this event you will need the Bingo card printed on your playing
card. BEFORE entering McDonalds please black out 6 items on the list to
leave you with 10. Head into McDonalds and join the queue, as the people
in front order their food you mark off the items on your card. The first
person to get all the items on their list wins and must shout "McDonalds
BINGO!". Everyone has 10 seconds to evacuate the store. Hamburger

Event 4 ? Nike British Bulldog
Banned in every school the world over, as this company should be. The
contestants line up on one side of the store, someone is the Bulldog in the
middle. They shout "Bulldog" and the contestants run to the other side
trying to avoid the Bulldog who is trying to catch them. Once tagged the
contestants join the Bulldog and security guards in trying to catch the
others in their next run. The last person caught wins.

Rules
- We take no responsibility for you or anything, infact we think you
  should definitely not do anything written here, it's all a big joke.
  Spend your day shopping instead.
- Anyone buying anything in any of the stores is instantly disqualified.

INTERNATIONAL TOILET GALLERY II
London
Sat 16th October 2004

The ESF aslo co-incides with the London Frieze art fair. A trade show for
commercial galleries, and air-kiss-a-thon for all of the Dahlings who work
in the art world. We thought this would be a good time to launch a second
toilet gallery upon the multinationals of the world.

This can be done whilst we are playing the multinational corporate games.

The plan is simple:

1 - Make some art
2 - Go into the toilets of a local Multinational (Starbucks, McDonalds etc)
3 - Install your show in the cubicles
4 - Send us a photo to put in the online toilet

The opening of the shows will be on the Sat 16th October.
THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL SPACE HIJACKERS CONVENTION
London
Sun 17th October 2004

Following on from a busy day hijacking, we will all be meeting up to plot,
plan, chat and be merry.  The international convention is a perfect
opportunity to put faces to the agents you have just met via the website.

Last years convention met in Paris with delegations coming from France, The
UK, Germany & South Africa. This years looks to be an even busier affair. In
true Space Hijacker style we shall be holding the convention in a hijacked
space.

Meet 7pm
Sunday 17th October
The 5th Floor Balcony
Royal Festival Hall
On the Southbank
London

See this , Dont buy it

--
Paul Makepeace .............................. http://paulm.com/inchoate/

"If I scream when you cum, then you can place a hammer in a cake."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/