[Surfside] Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie

Jez Weston jezweston@yahoo.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:52:20 +0000 (GMT)

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/index.cfm, Books, "Manufacturing Consent"

"Herman of Wharton and Chomsky of MIT lucidly document their argument
that America's government and its corporate giants exercise control
over what we read, see and hear. The authors identify the forces that
they contend make the national media propagandistic -- the major three
being the motivation for profit through ad revenue, the media's close
links to and often ownership by corporations, and their acceptance of
information from biased sources. In five case studies, the writers show
how TV, newspapers and radio distort world events.... Extensive
evidence is calmly presented, and in the end an indictment against the
guardians of our freedoms is substantiated. A disturbing picture
emerges of a news system that panders to the interests of America's
privileged and neglects its duties when the concerns of minority groups
and the underclass are at stake." - Publisher's Weekly