[MT-users] More spam battling

David Jennings david at alchemi.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 15:47:11 BST 2004

At 6:03 pm +0100 9/10/04, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>I found this page by ever-active MT hacker, Elise:
>http://www.elise.com/mt/archives/000246concerning_spam.php
>
>In there point "2) Rename mt-comments.cgi" I have implemented. This
>means you must rebuild your site for your index and archived pages to
>link to the correct script. (log in, select your site, and on the left-
>hand menu select "Rebuild". Then choose "All")
>
>(I have not changed mt-send-entry.cgi)
>
>I also recommend following points 3) and 6). I do not recommend 5): it's
>a waste of time.

Paul and I have discussed this following another 'attack' I had a few
days ago (even after implementing 2, 3 and 6). I've now also
implemented 5 - IP banning - since I found that 3 or 4 IP addresses
were responsible for hundreds of spam comments on my site over a
four-month period.

The biggest offending IPs have been:
198.26.120.13
198.26.118.37
198.26.118.36
203.122.54.129

So you might want to ban them too, if you feel like it.

David